Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dealing with confrontation on the golf course..and using it to your advantage!


A friend of mine showed me a video yesterday of an incident involving Bubba Watson and Steve Elkington from a few years ago at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. Watson was complaining about how Elkington and his caddie were walking in his line and talking loudly while he was trying to swing. The two ended up confronting each other and then settling things in the scorers tent afterwards.

I was thinking about all of the people I have been paired with that have made it very difficult to focus and play solid golf.

I used to get very upset and let the people get to me, then I realized that this was their plan all along. It was a form of gamesmanship you could say. Then I figured that I could turn this into an opportunity.

Every time I get paired with someone who is rude, loud, or says things to try to get in your head, it enhances my focus. I have to be able to shut them out completely, and often times it helps my game. It allows me to be even more competitive than normal. Plus, when they hit their ball into the woods, I don't help them look for it.

So next time when someone is being obnoxious in your group, don't let it bother you and use it to your advantage!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend so far!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment